Blood Donations Needed in Vallarta for Jimmie Ellis
|Mary & Jimmie Ellis|
Hola friends ~
My hubby Jimmie is in San Javier Hospital with early stage renal failure and a very low hemoglobin. He is on heamodylasis and needs blood. His blood type is B+ which is a rare type only 8% of the population has. They have some in the blood bank but need what they use replaced.
If you or anyone you know is willing and able to donate blood please contact the Puerto Vallarta Blood Bank at San Javier Marina hospital (across from the Cruise ship terminal) to arrange an appointment to donate. Their number is 226-1010, ext 220 and they are open 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. When you donate tell them you are donating in the name of James Donald Ellis. Many of our friends do not meet the Blood Bank donating criteria but please pass along this information.
This is the info I have on the Blood Bank's donating criteria:
Basic requirements for blood donors:
• over 18 years and under 65 years old
• weight at least 50 Kilos
• good health (donor feels well and can perform normal activities and has no chroonic conditions
• no alcohol consumption for 48 hours before donating
• fasting for at least 4 hours and no more than 8 hours before donating
Do not donate blood if:
• you have AIDS or a positive HIV test, hepatitis, syphilis, gonorrhea, papiloma, Chagas disease, herpes or engage in high risk sex.
• have any of the following conditions that can be signs or symptoms of HIV: unexplained weight loss or night sweats, blue or purple spots in your mouth or on your skin, swollen lymph nodes for more than one month, white spots or unusual sores in your mouth, a cough that will not go away, diarrhea that will not go away or fever.
• you have used drugs, steroids or hormones
• you have had vaccines, antibiotics and some medications in the last month
• have had sexual contact with more than 3 people in the past 5 years
• are male and have had sexual contact with another male
• have tattoos on your body
• are pregnant or menstruating
Thanks you in advance for your help.
Love, Mary (& Jimmie)
Editor's note: Those of us who are friends with Jimmie know all the work he has unselfishly performed in giving back to our Public Library and our Puerto Vallarta community - let's join together and give back to him in saying a big "thank you" for all he has done for us.
Update January 7:
I would like to thank everyone for their best wishes, good vibes and prayers for Jimmie. I've had over 200 emails and countless Facebook messages in the past few days and am overwhelmed with keeping up so this mass mailing.
Jimmie had another dialysis yesterday (Tues.) (the 3rd one) and they gave him another unit of blood too. As well he is getting the appropriate medications to treat his symptoms. His progress is slow but it is progress. If the kidney function tests and other blood work show improvement tomorrow and Friday they may spring him Friday. If not we cross those bridges when we get to them. Certainly he is much better than when we went to the hospital last Saturday.
Many people have asked about visitors. He can have visitors but it is best to call first as they take him away often for various tests and of course the hemo-dialysis. And he gets tired quite quickly. The phone number at San Javier is 226 1010 X 112 (just press 112 when the automatic answer thing comes on).
I've been passing along message and he appreciates them.
Love, Mary (& Jimmie)
This content was submitted by a member of the community. We'd like to hear from you, too! To share stories, photos, video or events for our calendar, please send them here.
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!
How You Can Help
Partners for Change
PVAngels.com is a unique blend of community awareness through the posting of local news and events, formal introductions to the charities and their needs, online fundraising, social networking and giving back. Ready to change the world? Join us.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance a more in-depth understanding of critical issues facing the world. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 USC Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.