International Homeless Animals' Day
The third Saturday of August is International Homeless Animals’ Day. On this day, groups around the world will come together to raise awareness about pet overpopulation. With events in 9 countries and 24 U.S. states, thousands of people are gearing up to take a stand.
According to the official website, they aim to "let the world know we will not tolerate the senseless killing that continues to take the lives of innocent dogs, cats, puppies and kittens simply because there are not enough good homes for them."
On International Homeless Animals’ Day, individuals and organizations around the world organize awareness-raising activities like candlelight vigils, adopt-a-thons, microchip clinics, slideshows, rallies, dog walks, open houses, award ceremonies, live music, raffles, and games.
If this is an important cause to you, there are many ways you can participate:
• Attend an event: check the Event Schedule to find a meeting near you.
• Participate in the Virtual Vigil: If you can’t attend an event or if there’s no event in your area, then you can light a candle online in honor of homeless animals.
• Sign petitions: it’s a great way to let the government and other officials know that pet overpopulation is a serious problem.
Some Care2 petitions:
• Pledge to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
• Every Homeless Pet Deserves a Chance
• Pledge to Help Stray Animals
• Help Shut Down Puppy Mills
• Help the U.S. Become a No Kill Nation
• Control UK Dog Breeding Now
Get educated - Learn more about animal welfare issues and how to help shelter pets. Try reading:
• 10 Ways to Show Animal Shelters the Love
• Found Baby Kittens
• How to Help Animals Without Taking Them In
• 9 Myths About Spaying and Neutering
For those of you that care about our animals in Puerto Vallarta or Riviera Nayarit, Mexico, take some time to get to know our local organizations and all the great work they are doing in the rescue of the homeless animals, spay and neuter services, adoptions and a lot more. You will see a list below and they could sure use your help.
What are you going to do to help?
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!
How You Can Help
Partners for Change
PVAngels.com is a unique blend of community awareness through the posting of local news and events, formal introductions to the charities and their needs, online fundraising, social networking and giving back. Ready to change the world? Join us.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance a more in-depth understanding of critical issues facing the world. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 USC Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.