News, Updates, Programs and Needs From Los Amigos de Jaltemba
"In Service to the Community" has been our mantra since the inception of Los Amigos de Jaltemba after Hurricane Kenna in 2002.
Now 5 years after becoming an official A.C. organization (registered non-profit), providing services to the communities of the greater Jaltemba Bay, the Board of Directors of Los Amigos would like to thank you once again, for volunteering your precious personal time in the past and to say "gracias" for your past financial support.
Here is a summary of our accomplishments and a brief preview of our future aspirations.
During these 5 years Los Amigos has:
• Increased collections of plastic recyclables to about 6000 kilos per month,
• Provided annual scholarships to just under 100 high school students
• Delivered community leadership training to more than 70 students
• Built 4 new kindergartens
• Repaired facilities at 8 kindergarten, primary and secondary schools
• Hosted first Beach Clean up of La Peñita leading the way for the new Malecon
• Helped demolish 2 unsafe structures on the beach in La Peñita
• Renovated an abandoned sports park and returned it to service
• Supported the work of the Jaltemba Bay Animal Rescue (JBAR)
• Participated in an anti-dengue campaign
• Created a new Community Cultural Center serving the Jaltemba Bay
Activities & Programs
• Developed a variety of new education and community services
• Hosted an industrial sewing course offered through SEP-CECATI
• Partnered with the Fashion Show breakfast program for needy secondary students
• Offered environmental education courses for local kindergartens and their staff
• Created 3 community service teams comprised of our scholarship students to undertake service projects
• Organized and began delivering a variety of music, language and computer classes
• Began offering certificate programs for people over 15 years old in the primary and secondary grades
As we look to the future we are very encouraged with the reception our Community Center has been given by the local residents and their enthusiastic participation in our classes and activities.
Currently, more than 190 people per week are participating. Soon we will expand our current offerings at the CCC to include an advanced computer learning laboratory to assist interested students in gaining meaningful business and job opportunities in the digital media sector.
And, the process is underway for the CCC to be designated a "Community Plaza" by the Mexican National Institute for Adult Education.
Can you lend a hand?
Los Amigos is proud of these accomplishments and are determined to continue to bring more services to this community.
We want to acknowledge our key partners for their work and support including our local Rotary Club of Jaltemba Bay and several Rotary Clubs in Canada and the US for their participation and for bringing needed resources to our community.
To maintain our momentum we need your help and support. As one of our supporters please consider making a monthly donation of $25-$30 dollars or more to help sustain Los Amigos and its good works.
The most expedient method to make your donation is through PayPal on our website.
Also, please check our website for information on obtaining tax deductions in the US.
You can also stop by or call the Center's Director, Vicky Robelo at (327) 107-0523.
We are creating a learning tree of acknowledgements for our supporters at the CCC and would be very pleased to add your name to our growing list of contributors.
Zobeida Barrera Lozano
President of the Board of Directors
Los Amigos de Jaltemba AC
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!