Connect with PVAngelsJoin PVAngels on FacebookJoin PVAngels on TwitterPVAngels News Feeds Tell a Friend PVAngels Newsletter  
Home Home   About PVAngels   Get Involved   Local News   Event Calendar   Add a Charity   Partners for Change   Contact Us      Search Search PVAngels 

Local News & Events

Puerto Vallarta • Riviera Nayarit 

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) Provided Free by U.S. Government

Team Angels - US Consular Agent Vallarta
September 15, 2013

Kelly Trainor, our Puerto Vallarta U.S. Consulate, reminds our visitors about the free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. Citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country.

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. STEP also allows Americans residing abroad to get routine information from the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.   

Why have you renamed the Registration with Embassies program to the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)?

Our goal is to encourage all U.S. citizens travelling or residing abroad to let us know their contact information so that, in an emergency, we can contact them. By changing the name of the link and designating it the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), we hope to encourage more U.S citizens to utilize the service. If you have utilized our registration service before, you will notice that the change of the name to STEP will not affect your ability to continue to utilize the service. We are working to improve the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to serve you better. Please feel free to e-mail us with your feedback at

How do I enroll in STEP?

First you will create an account by clicking on the "Create an Account" link and following the instructions provided. The account creation allows you to select a username and password so that you can access your travel data at any time. The account will also contain your personal information so that it can be saved and used again whenever you travel abroad. The personal information section will include basic information about yourself, and also for an emergency contact that is not traveling with you.

Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips or overseas residences to register with a specific US Embassy or Consulate. Click on the "Add Trip" button or "Add Overseas Residence" buttons to add this information. Follow through the pages, and complete as much information as you have available. There are very few required fields, but thorough information enables the US Embassy to help you more efficiently if needed.

How can the embassy or consulate assist me while I am abroad?

U.S. consular officers assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties. Although consular officers cannot act as your legal counsel or representative, they can provide the names of local attorneys and doctors, provide loans to destitute Americans, and provide information about dangerous conditions affecting your overseas travel or residence. Consular officers also perform non-emergency services, helping Americans with absentee voting, selective service registration, receiving federal benefits, and filing U.S. tax forms. Consular officers can notarize documents, issue passports, and register American children born abroad. Most embassies and consulates have web sites with more information.

Enrolling through this website is NOT considered proof of U.S. citizenship. If you apply for any American citizen services from the embassy or consulate while abroad, you will be asked by the consular staff to provide proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a U.S. passport or American birth certificate.

Where do I enroll my trip to the USA?

Please note that Smart Traveler enrollment is intended for U.S. citizens to enroll with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate when traveling or living abroad. If you are not a U.S. citizen and would like to submit your information online to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to receive travel authorization under the Visa Waiver Program for visits to the U.S.A., please visit here.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program and Privacy

The U.S. Department of State is committed to ensuring that any personal information received by our overseas embassies and consulates pursuant to the STEP process, whether in person or otherwise, is safeguarded against unauthorized disclosure. The data that you provided the U.S. Department of State is subject to the provisions of the Privacy Act (5 USC 552a). This means that the U.S. Department of State will not disclose the information you provide us in your STEP application to any third parties unless you have given us written authorization to do so, or unless the disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.

To enroll in the STEP Program, visit Travel Registration.

The Puerto Vallarta Consulate office is located at Paradise Plaza, Paseo de los Cocoteros #85, Sur Paradise Plaza, Interior Local L-7, in Nuevo Vallarta. Telephones are (322) 222-0069 and (322) 223-3301. Email is

  Learn more about Vallarta Consular Agencies

We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!

Meet the Charities

Community Services


Animals & Wildlife

Health Care

Youth & Family


Culture & Recreation

Special Interests

How You Can Help

Use Your Powers for Good

Add Your Favorite Charity

Save a Life - Give Blood


Partners for Change

Meet the Partners

Become a Partner for Change


About PVAngels

Add Your Charity

Add Your News & Events

Locate Yourself on Our Maps

Join PVAngels Team

About Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta Local News

Local Event Calendar

Puerto Vallarta Videos

Puerto Vallarta Photos

Historic Puerto Vallarta

Local Area Maps

Important Phone Numbers

CraigsList in Puerto Vallarta

   Stay Connected

    Find PVAngels on Facebook Follow PVAngels on Twitter Sign up PVAngels Newsletter RSS Feeds on PVAngels

Feeding Mexico

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance a more in-depth understanding of critical issues facing the world. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 USC Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

2019 • m3 • this site is part of a charitable conspiracy