International Friendship Club PV Actively Supports Many Educational Projects
We Give Grants
International Friendship Club supports many people and organizations in Puerto Vallarta and in addition to the Cleft Palate program some of our most important work is focused on education.
Last year our education budget was allocated to seven organizations after we had received their requests for support and after they had agreed to report to us how they spent the money. Six of them gave us reports and we will return to them again this year to discuss further support.
1. Biblioteca Los Mangos used our education grant to upgrade three computers. The library decided to allow their members to use the computers for free but charges 10 pesos/hour to non-members. In the first month after the upgrade the library had generated $1,000pesos. The benefits of microfinance!
2. Vallarta Botanical Gardens used the grant to purchase four (one for each season) large educational signs for their entrance. The IFC also underwrote a trip for 40 students from the Volcanes Community Education project for a day at the Gardens with tour and simple lunch, with the Gardens granting free admission and the tour to the group.
3. British American School used the grant to purchase books for libraries and school supplies for distribution by the students and staff of BAS in outlying schools in the bay area, plus training for school staff on setting up libraries.
4. Volcanes Community Education Project. Our grant was used to help pay for construction and renovation costs that were needed in the after-school enrichment program in English, Math and Computers offered in this economically challenged area.
5. American School spent the grant to purchase and distribute books for pre-school and elementary children to economically disadvantaged schools in the community.
6. SETAC Community Center designed and printed 12,000 copies of three educational pamphlets in Spanish regarding local resources and safe-sex practices for the prevention of the spread of HIV. These pamphlets are now available throughout high risk areas of Puerto Vallarta.
The IFC Education Committee is now meeting to assess new grant proposals for 2015 from existing recipients as well as an elementary school in serious need of assistance, a school for deaf children, and an orphanage. We serve to partner with educational institutions serving those living in some of the most economically challenged areas.
We Give Time
Our English Outreach program is off to a great start again this year. This program offers free lessons in English to Mexican residents who need English in their jobs or studies and lack resources for private instruction.
Five or six volunteers lead a full class of eager students in basic English grammar, conversation, and comprehension on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at the IFC. There is no cost but the students are expected to make that twice-weekly commitment to attend and to do the homework.
The program was a success last year and very popular with the students. This year some of those students have enrolled again and we are happy to say that our enrollment limit was met within a few days of the announcement of the 2015 program.
The International Friendship Club is a registered charitable organization in Mexico listed as Club Internacional de la Amistad de Puerto Vallarta A.C. It is located at the northeast corner of the Rio Cuale Bridge above the HSBC Bank, Colonia El Centro, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico, 48300. Phone: (322) 222-5466, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This content was submitted by a member of the community. We'd like to hear from you, too! To share stories, photos, video or events for our calendar, please send them here.
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!