CANICA Program (Centro de Apoyo a Niños con Cáncer) - Improve living conditions of a small boy who, due to a brain tumor, has lost the use of one eye and one arm. The single mother is taking care of the child, and two other small children, in a two-room apartment that lacks running water and electricity. We rewired the apartment to U.S. standards, installed a sink, drainage for sink, roof over kitchen, 2 lights and fans, complete painting and necessary repairs to all walls and ceiling.
This is the first of a series of Newsletters I hope to publish on a fairly regular basis over the next few months. The purpose of these Newsletters is to inform, encourage, and entertain. All suggestions are welcome.
Many of us are aware of a Post 14 project or two - but most of us have no idea of what all OUR Post does and has done over the last few months. Post Commander Dennis Rike has put together a partial list of projects that have been completed over the last couple of years. Take a look. You ought to be proud of the large number of projects the Post 14 members have supported and helped complete.
American Legion Community Service Projects
In all of its activities in the community, Post 14 acknowledges significant ongoing financial support from the Jay Sadler Project.
• Aurora Playground (Jay Sadler Park) - Hire youth to manage the playground to give more children an opportunity to utilize the facilities.
• Aurora Recreational Park (Jay Sadler Park) - Adopted total upkeep and maintenance annually. Painting, repairs, exercise equipment and purchase of trees and shrubs. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League, His Will/His Way Ministries, and the Jay Sadler Project.
• Aurora Recreation Center (Jay Sadler Park) - Painting and minor repairs, installing 2 teeter totters and repairing fence.
• Banderas Bay Women's Shelter - Raised funds for the battered women in San Pancho via Chili Cook-Off, 14 March 2015.
• Banderas Bay Women's Shelter - Installed sod (grass) for playground and built sand box.
• Boca de Tomatlán Jr. and Sr. High School - Water supply and repairs to boys and girls bathrooms
• Boca de Tomatlán Jr. and Sr. High School Phase II. - Additional repairs to the water system.
• Boca de Tomatlán Medical Center - Painted Lower level and provided 20 pails of paint.
• Busca un Amigo Day Care Center - General repairs, painting, repair of therapy swimming pool, raise wall, and install sidewalk.
• Busca un Amigo Day Care Center - September 2015 - Repairs to concrete curb, walls in pool area, ceiling and painting the entire structure.
• Busca un Amigo Day Care Center Project - Painting, repairs, new screen prior to American Legion Magazine doing a story.
• C.A.D.I. Aurora Nursery/Day Care Center Cut the grass 8" high and full of insects. 2 men, 1 day.
• C.A.D.I. Nursery/Day Care Center (for children 6 months to four years) July/August 2015. Locations in Ixtapa, Aurora and Coapinole - Building repairs including painting, ventilation over the stoves, installation of closet door in pantry, blinds in class room to screen the sun, installation of playground, tinted roof, put sand down and installed indoor/outdoor carpet. Painted brick wall 50 yards. Tile work in the kitchens and bathrooms. American Legion partnered up with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Caloso Park - Painting and playground repairs, and installation of recycled tire swing seats.
• CANICA Program (Centro de Apoyo a Niños con Cáncer) - Improve living conditions of a small boy who, due to a brain tumor, has lost the use of one eye and one arm. The single mother is taking care of the child, and two other small children, in a two-room apartment that lacks running water and electricity. We rewired the apartment to U.S. standards, installed a sink, drainage for sink, roof over kitchen, 2 lights and fans, complete painting and necessary repairs to all walls and ceiling.
• Casa Hogar Corazón de Nina -Painting upper and lower levels of new addition and built planter boxes for vegetables.
• Casa Hogar Máximo Cornejo Quiroz Orphanage - Painted and put new logo on the front.
• Children's Cancer Screening Center November/December 2015 - Repaired concrete structure as needed, painted exterior with assistance from parents
• Centro de Apoyo a Niños con Cancer, A.C. (Support Center for Children with Cancer) - Purchased and installed playground. Painting and repairs to the facility. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League. • Chili Cook Off 27 February Event - Raised 95,000 pesos for various charities.
• Colonia 12 de October Community Center with USCGC Active November 12th 2015 - Cut grass and weeds around the building, repaired concrete and painted the interior with various colors and exterior white.
• Col. Magisterio Community Center used by sur Rotary (Children of the Dump) USCGC Bertholf(1 February 2016) - Building repairs, concrete work, painted interior and exterior with various colors to add life. This was a big job. We will be working on the playground mid-2016.
• DIVAC Association for the Handicapped Painting and general clean-up. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Jardin de Ninos Salvador Novo Clave November 2015 -Worked on the2 acre lot the building is on. Cut the 8" grass that was full of insects. The project took 2 men, 2 days.
• Las Juntas Police Training Facility - Exercise equipment for weight training and boxing.In partnership with His Will/His Way Ministries.
• Luis Medina Casillas Jardín de Niños in Ixtapa (Kinder Care School) - This is a joint project with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League. Renovation of an abandoned classroom included the installation of electrical wiring, fans, lights receptacles, painting, roof repair, fence replacement and safety hand rails. In partnership with thePuerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Luis Medina Casillas Jardín de NiñosinIxtapa (Kinder Care School) - Renovation of an abandoned classroom included the installation of electrical wiring, fans, lights receptacles, painting, roof repair, fence replacement and safety hand rails. American Legion partnered up with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Manuel de Jesus Clouthier Del Rincon Campestre Canadas Oct. 8 and 9 2015 (USS William P. Laurence) - Painting, roof repair, fence installed along the street side of the building, with assistance from parents. American Legion is partnered up with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League
• "New Life Home" (DIF) for boys 7 to 14 Coapinole. Paint and repairs. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League
• "New Life Home" for boys 7 to 14, Coapinole -DIF Will award scholarships for up to 6 boys to play American football with the Torpedos. Support from Chili Cook-Off, 14 March 2015. Repaired 12 bicycles in partnership with His Will/His Way Ministries.
• Santa Bárbara Rehabilitation Clinic - Tile roof installation and painting. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Santa Bárbara Rehabilitation Clinic -Painting and repairs. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Santa Bárbara Rehabilitation Clinic - Paint, repairs and installation of screens to keep the bats out.
• San Ignacio - Assisted in building a community center. Water, plumbing, and electrical support. Working with Punta Mita Foundation.
• San Vicente del Mar Playground Restoration and repairs - In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League and His Will/His Way Ministries.
• San Vicente del Mar and El Guamúchil - Playgrounds at Restoration/repairs follow up on previous work 2 years ago. In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• School for the Deaf - Lighting, fans, window protection.
• School for the Deaf - Building addition of two new classrooms.45,000 Pesos awarded. In partnership with Club Rotario Puerto Vallarta (el número del Club es el 7004) and Punta de Mita Foundation.
• Senior Home in Coapinole (DIF) - Painting, electrical repairs, emergency lighting installation and electrical upgrades.In partnership with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League.
• Torpedos American Football - Fund raising, maintenance of the field, and donations toward scholarships.
• Torpedos - Raise funds for purchase of football helmets. Funds from Chili Cook-Off, 14 March 2015.
• Torpedos American Football - Donated 30,000 pesos for the boys from DIF. New Life Home also donated 10,000 Pesos to the team for equipment.
• Womens Shelter in Col. Progreso - With help from HMCS VANCOUVER CANADIAN FRIGATE March 21/22 2016. Major renovations and cement work on the interior and exterior. Also painting, installation of lights and fans, donation 2 large tables and 10 folding chairs.
There are many more Projects in Process! We are constantly searching for Members (and others) to assist with our projects. If you would like to help or know of someone who would like to help - please contact Brian Topolniski at brian.edward.topolniski@gmailcom. (Brian is the lead guy for projects). He will be happy to add your name to the list of volunteers that are so crucial to completing our many projects. Of note is the fact that we are getting more and more local folks involved in the decision process and in the actual work phase. We feel that if the local residents have more ownership in the project they will have more of a tendency to maintain the area AND feel pride in their accomplishments.
Listed below is a partial list of upcoming projects:
• C.A.D.I. Nursery/Day Care Center for children 6 months to four years: Centro - painting and more
• Col. Las Palmas Community Center - painting and more
• Col. Volcanus Community Center - painting, plumbing, electrical, and masonry and more.
• Coapinole La Lagina Playground. Using some of the 40,500 peso donation from Punta de Minta Foundation May 2016 a complete renewal of the area including playground equipment, sandbox, etc.
• Col. Magisterio Playground Installation of new equipment and major repairs. July 2016
• Playgrounds at San Vicente del Mar and El Guamúchil - Restoration, repairs, and follow up on previous work completed two years ago. The American Legion partnering with the Puerto Vallarta Navy League. Plan to complete May 2016
Editorial - I joined Post 14 a little over a year ago. I'd been an American Legion member for many years but had never been to a meeting - anywhere. I joined Post 14 hoping to find a group of like-minded folks with similar backgrounds. I was hoping to meet new people in the area and perhaps socialize with themon occasion before and after Legion meetings. As I've gotten to know more of the local Legionnaires I am pleased to report that I have been favorably impressed with the men and women I have met - veterans and non-veterans alike! Within a few months my path in the Legion changed as I was asked to become the Post Adjutant. I gladly accepted (boy, was I naïve). I have since realized that there is a fair amount of effort that goes in to the position - and most of the positions of leadership within the Post. I am awed at the service many of the officers and members give to the Post - many working daily on Post business. I am impressed with the amount of time and energy they spend supporting the Post and helping others within the community. Many members just come for the meetings on the third Tuesday and the month and do nothing else - and that is fine - in fact it's great to see them and to have their support! It's good to get together at these meetings and any and all special events.I was truly amazed at the immense amount of time spent by members AND non-members in coordinating and completing the Chili Cook Off a couple of months ago! Kudos to all of them. Enjoy your day! J. R. Wilson
What would you like to see in future NEWSLETTERS? Here are some thoughts:
• Reviews by members of local bars and restaurants?
• Biographies of members?
• Service stories from members?
• Detailed reports on projects?
• Calendar of local events?
• Member's favorite recipes?
• Jokes or cartoons?
• Post history?
• Links of interest?
• Veteran's Discounts?
• GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS - Send me an email at JRinMX@Gmail.com
We are currently looking for ways to add new members. A Membership Committee has been formed and is trying various methods to find potential new members. We are open to ideas. Contact Ron Abbe with your thoughts - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't forget - American Legion Post 14 T-Shirt Sales at Steve's Sports Bar on Basilio Badillo in Old Town Vallarta.
This content was submitted by a member of the community. We'd like to hear from you, too! To share stories, photos, video or events for our calendar, please send them here.
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!