During the month of August, turtles arrive to spawn at Puerto Vallarta. Photo by The Trust Fund of Puerto Vallarta
Facts you should know to be a responsible tourist
1. During the Summer, Puerto Vallarta receives hundreds of sea turtles that come to spawn at its shores after their long journey across thousands of kilometers along the Pacific Ocean.
2. The Olive Ridley sea turtle finds a safe haven to lay its eggs in 30 kilometers of seacoast in Mexico.
3. From the first moment baby turtles hatch, they imprint on their natal beach and will return to it.
4. The main species in Puerto Vallarta is the Olive Ridley sea turtle.
5. Olive Ridley sea turtles can grow between 60 and 70 centimeters long and weigh between 40 and 100 kilos.
6. Their carapaces have the shape of a heart.
7. To spawn, turtles dig nests of 40 centimeters deep and cover them with sand with the help of their flippers.
8. The arrival period can last up to one month and a half.
9. The greatest concentration of sea turtle population occurs at Playa de Oro and Playa de los Muertos, which is the equivalent to 30 kilometers of coastline designated for the supervision and protection of sea turtles.
10. After they lay their eggs, the eggs are transported to nurseries, such as the beach of Hotel Secrets, which has the capacity to support 100 nests, and the beach of Hotel Holy, which receives up to 900 nests.
11. Once eggs are relocated to protected nests, 45 days are needed for the eggs to begin hatching.
12. Instinctively, baby turtles will make their way towards the ocean, where they begin the challenge to survive.
13. Few turtles manage to reach adulthood.
14. It's important not to interact with the turtles when they are spawning since this could prompt them to return to the sea, disoriented, and without completing their natural process.
15. Local officials recommend keeping a minimum distance of 10 meters while observing the spawning.
16. At night, it's strictly forbidden to use lamps or cellphone lights.
17. It's recommended to wear dark clothing to avoid disturbing the turtles.
18. During the month of August, tourists in Puerto Vallarta can participate in the release of Olive Ridley sea turtles.
Read the rest at El Universal
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!