Connect with PVAngelsJoin PVAngels on FacebookJoin PVAngels on TwitterPVAngels News Feeds Tell a Friend PVAngels Newsletter  
Home Home   About PVAngels   Get Involved   Local News   Event Calendar   Add a Charity   Partners for Change   Contact Us      Search Search PVAngels 

Mexico Issues & Opinions

Puerto Vallarta • Riviera Nayarit 

  News &
Politics
Issues &
Opinions
Business &
Finance
Health &
Evironment
Lifestyle &
Entertainment
Travel &
Outdoors
Science &
Technology

CDI Finds a Different Kind of Justice for Mexico's Indigenous People

Dennis A. Garcia - El Universal
go to original
April 14, 2015



Before being imprisoned Pablo Huachina worked as a mason, and earned between US$3 and US$9 a day. (Special)

Pablo Huacachina Posadas, a native from Cuahuximaloyan who speaks Náhuatl, is one of the 2,773 stories of injustice that have ended up in prison for stealing an avocado, transporting timber or being accused of theft by their employers.

However, they are now free with the support of the National Commission for the Development of Indigenous Peoples (CDI).

...So far in this administration the CDI has released 2,773 indigenous people who stayed between 50 days and over three years behind bars out of a total of 8,558.

In an interview with EL UNIVERSAL Nuvia Mayorga Delgado, director of the CDI, said the goal of the six-year plan is to assist 70% of the indigenous population in prison, and added  that the other 30% can not be assisted because they are facing legal processes or have been convicted of a federal crime.

"We pay the bail and assist detainees with the help 193 indigenous lawyers and 180 translators" distributed in 24 delegations throughout the country, Mayorga explained.

She added that they expect to release a little over 1,000 indigenous people this year. The CDI has a budget of 80,000 pesos (US$5,230) for each case.

Once released, the CDI helps them with a productive project so that they can make a living.

According to the CDI in 2013 there were 1,460 indigenous people in prison in Oaxaca, 1,082 in Chiapas, 998 in Puebla, 735 in Veracruz, 520 in Mexico City and 418 in Chihuahua.

Read the rest at El Universal

  Check out Peyote People

  Check out The Huichol Center for Cultural Survival

  Check out Galeria Tanana


We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!


Meet the Charities

Community Services

Environmental

Animals & Wildlife

Health Care

Youth & Family

Education

Culture & Recreation

Special Interests


How You Can Help

Use Your Powers for Good

Add Your Favorite Charity

Save a Life - Give Blood

 

Partners for Change

Meet the Partners

Become a Partner for Change


About Puerto Vallarta

Puerto Vallarta Local News

Local Event Calendar

Puerto Vallarta Videos

Puerto Vallarta Photos

Historic Puerto Vallarta

Local Area Maps

Important Phone Numbers

CraigsList in Puerto Vallarta


News Around Mexico

Mexico Issues & Opinions

Mexico Business News

Mexico Evironmental News

Lifestyle & Entertainment

Mexico Travel & Outdoors

Science & Technology News

Mexico News & Travel Videos


Stay Connected

Find PVAngels on Facebook Follow PVAngels on Twitter Sign up PVAngels Newsletter RSS Feeds on PVAngels


Resources

About PVAngels

Add Your Charity

Add Your News & Events

Locate Yourself on Our Maps

Jobs - Join PVAngels Team


FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance a more in-depth understanding of critical issues facing the world. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 USC Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

m3 • local actions from global awareness