Health Minister Downplays Mosquito-Borne Zika Virus Threat to Travelers to Mexico
Confirmed cases of Zika in Mexico rise to 37 (New China TV)
Mexico's health ministry on Wednesday sought to play down any impact on its tourism industry from the mosquito-borne Zika virus, emphasizing the disease was under control and far from its main tourist centers.
The infection presents no risk for tourist activity, Alberto Diaz, a senior official from the health ministry, told tour operators during a meeting in Cancun, however conceding it was "inevitable" the virus would spread.
Mexico has so far confirmed 37 cases of Zika, up from 18 last week. It has not yet detected a case in a pregnant woman.
The virus has been tied to brain damage in thousands of babies in Brazil, raising alarms as it spreads throughout the continent. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates Zika could eventually affect as many as 4 million people in the region.
Diaz, assistant director general of the government's epidemiological institute, said the infection has led to few complications so far, and the Mexican government was following all WHO guidelines.
Read the rest at Channel News Asia
Related: Mexico Focuses Zika Prevention Efforts on Pregnant Women (Latin American Herald Tribune)
Related: Been to Mexico Recently? Hold Off on Giving Blood (Associated Press)
Related: Zika Q&A: What to Know About the Mosquito Virus (USA Today)
Related: Zika Affects Plans for Destination Weddings, Babymoons (Associated Press)
Related: Latin American Health Ministers Agree on Roadmap to Fight Zika (EFE)
Related: Zika Virus a Trending Topic on Social Media Platforms (Reuters)
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!