American Legion 3rd Annual Chili Cook-Off Festival at El Rio BBQ
Update: And the Winners are...
• 1st - Nacho Daddy (#1)
• 2nd - American Legion (#12)
• 3rd - Murphy's Irish Pub (#16)
• 1st - Hotel Casa Anita (#17)
• 2nd - Escondida (#15)
• 3rd - Nacho Daddy (#1)
The American Legion Post 14 of Puerto Vallarta are sponsoring their 3nd annual charity chili cook-off featuring more than 19 recipes from a broad range of sponsors, including restaurants and individuals.
This always popular event will be held on Saturday, March 14th from 1:00 to 5:00 pm at El Rio BBQ Bar alongside the Cuale River in Paso Ancho.
It's "all you can eat" chili plus one order of riblets and fruit water for only 200 pesos per person. El Rio regular menu items are also available for purchase. Tickets can be purchased at the door or in advance from any of the event's sponsors, including Post 14 Hqd. at Steve's Sports Bar on Basilio Badillo. You won't want to miss this one!
Charities benefiting from the cook-off include Banderas Bay Women's Shelter, Youth Sports, benefiting Torpedos American Football (Pop Warner 6 to 17), DIF New Life Home for Boys and Community Relations Projects of the American Legion.
Doors will open at 1:00 pm. Mariachis will perform from 12:30 to 2:00 then Mikki Prost, Murphy's Dave Whitty & Matt Cooke and finishing the entertainment with Nacho Daddy's Texas Embassy Blues Band.
There will be two classes of judging. Popularity vote by the attendees to determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies and also Professional judging to determine a "Grand Chef's Prize" trophy.
To become a sponsor and a participant in the cook-off, you must agree to provide at least 5 gallons of your special chili and bring your own heating unit. Call Dennis Rike at (322) 138-8891 or email@example.com to sign up as a participant or to get additional information regarding the event.
El Rio BBQ Bar is conveniently located alongside the beautiful Cuale River in Paso Ancho. If coming from the south or El Centro, turn right off the Libramiento just past the bridge and before the new large tunnel. If coming from the north, turn left at the river road past the large tunnel and before the bridge. If traveling by bus, you should take the R-04 Blue bus from Old Town (Lazaro Cardenas) to Paso Ancho. Free parking will be available. See the map here.
Projects Completed 2013/14
• Proyecto Pitillal Busca un Amigo Day Care Center - Repairs, painting, raise wall & install sidewalk.
• School for the Deaf - Lighting, Fans, Window Protection.
• Boca de Tomatlan Jr. Sr. High School - Water Supply & Repairs to Boys and Girls Bathrooms.
• Santa Barbara Rehabilitation Clinic - Tile roof installation and Painting.
• DIVAC Association for the Handicap - Painting.
• Playgrounds San Vicente del Mar and Guamuchil - Restoration/repairs.
• La Aurora Recreational Park - Painting, repairs and adopted for total upkeep and maintenance.
• Caloso Plaza - Painting and repairs to the playground.
• Children's Cancer Screening Center - Painting, roof repairs, window replacement and playground installed. (In partnership with Vallarta Navy League)
• DIF Senior Home and New Life Home for boys in Coapinole - painting, repairs and electrical installation. (In partnership with Vallarta Navy League)
• School for the Deaf - building addition in partnership with Punta Mita Foundation and Club Rotario aka Charlie Brown. 45,000 PESOS AWARDED CONSTRUCTION TO START MARCH 1, 2015
• Torpedos Football Americano Fundraising - maintenance on the field and donating toward scholarship.
• Raise funds for the Banderas Bay Women's Shelter for battered women in San Pancho.
• Installed water and electrical service for a youth community center in San Ignacio.
We hope to see you at the Chili Cook-Off on March 14 for great food, great entertainment and lots of fun while supporting our American Legion projects.
This content was submitted by a member of the community. We'd like to hear from you, too! To share stories, photos, video or events for our calendar, please send them here.
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!
How You Can Help
Partners for Change
PVAngels.com is a unique blend of community awareness through the posting of local news and events, formal introductions to the charities and their needs, online fundraising, social networking and giving back. Ready to change the world? Join us.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance a more in-depth understanding of critical issues facing the world. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 USC Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information click here. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.