|The Green Economy: A Sustainable Approach for Puerto Vallarta|
Fernando Castro - Tribuna de la Bahía
|go to original
September 4, 2023
In a world increasingly aware of environmental challenges, the green economy has emerged as a promising alternative for balancing economic growth with environmental sustainability. With its roots in concerns about natural resource depletion and climate change, the green economy has gained global and local relevance. We must analyze the green economy from its origins, its development in Mexico and how it could be applied in a tourist destination such as Puerto Vallarta.
The green economy has its roots in the 1980's, when global concerns about environmental degradation and the depletion of natural resources arose. It was a call to rethink the relationship between economic growth and environmental impact.
The green economy proposes a focus on sustainable development, which seeks to meet current needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
A significant milestone highlighting the urgency of sustainability is Earth Overshoot Day. This day, calculated annually, marks the date by which humanity has used all the natural resources the Earth can regenerate in a year. In the 1980s, this day fell at the end of December. However, as global consumption increased, this day moved forward, and today, it occurs in the months of July or August.
This phenomenon highlighted the critical need to change course and adopt more sustainable approaches to the economy and everyday life. The green economy emerged as a response to this challenge, seeking ways to balance human demands with the Earth's ability to regenerate itself and maintain its biodiversity.
In addition to being aware of the need to develop a green economy, it is also important to promote the concept. That the region's secondary and higher education institutions incorporate into their curricula careers that generate the green professionals that are needed. At the end of the day, if the economy does not produce and incorporate these sectors, it is unlikely that they will develop.
Some examples of green careers that could be promoted in the region of Puerto Vallarta and Banderas Bay are:
• Renewable Energy: The installation and maintenance of solar panels and wind turbines generate job opportunities in areas such as solar energy installers, wind energy technicians, and energy storage experts.
• Energy Efficiency: Experts in energy auditing and efficient technologies, as well as energy management systems engineers, can help companies reduce their energy consumption and costs.
• Waste Management: Waste collection, recycling and management offer employment in areas such as plastics recycling, composting and materials recovery.
• Agriculture and Agroecology: Organic farmers, agroforestry technicians and permaculture specialists can contribute to sustainable food production.
• Biodiversity Conservation: Conservation biologists, rangers and ecologists work in the preservation of unique species and ecosystems.
• Sustainable Tourism: Ecotourism tour guides, nature reserve managers and environmental educators to promote responsible tourism.
• Sustainable Architecture: Architects and designers in green and efficient construction participate in the creation of sustainable infrastructure.
• Sustainable Transportation: The planning and operation of public transportation systems, as well as the promotion of bicycle mobility, generate employment in the clean transportation sector.
Read the rest at Tribuna de la Bahía
Related: Mayor of Puerto Vallarta Calls on Residents to Join Cleaning Initiative and Help Keep City Clean (Vallarta Daily News)
Related: World’s Richest Countries Must Set More Ambitious Climate Change Goals, Report Finds (IPS)
This material was translated from Spanish using AI technologies. Errors may exist due to this process.
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!
From activities like hiking, swimming, bike riding and yoga, to restaurants offering healthy menus, Vallarta-Nayarit is the ideal place to continue - or start - your healthy lifestyle routine.