PuRR Project is a no-kill cat shelter located just north of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, with approximately 260 resident felines. Situated on a 1/2 acre parcel of land, our adult population roams free within our lush green gardens allowing them to live in a 'natural' environment un-caged. Our kittens reside in our Kitten Nursery - a large structure with a small patio - open air concept. PuRR Project also has an on-site clinic with daily veterinarian services.
PuRR Project boasts many interesting sights. The Mexican ranch style house on the property has a covered porch where many of our "free to roam" adults gather to snuggle up and sleep away the afternoons. Others join with friends to sleep under their favorite plants or atop their favorite trees, or roof. There is a "group litter box" in our gardens to keep our grounds clean - it even has a roof for rain protection - And feeding time is always a delight to see!
The Kitten Nursery has proven to be a favorite spot for visitors to spend time. We have kittens of all sizes, shapes, colors and personalities. If you've never experienced being in a space with MULTIPLE kittens, it's one you will always remember. But beware - you may not be able to leave PuRR Project empty handed!
PuRR Project is not a rescue organization in the sense that we hit the streets and physically scoop up cats in need. Unfortunately we are not nearly properly staffed or equipped for this step as yet.
PuRR is currently well over the number of kitty residents that we can afford to care for with only public donations. Volunteers are desperately trying to find homes for the ones that are viable adoption candidates so that we may once more accept rescues. Thank you for your understanding and support!
To provide homeless cats and kittens a recuperative stay at PuRR Project with the ultimate goal to adopt them out to loving homes sterilized, vaccinated and disease free; accomplishing this through our own efforts as well as collaboratively with other animal welfare organizations and veterinarians.
To reduce in significant numbers the suffering that homeless cats and kittens endure.
Our shelter is supported solely by donations. As of yet, we have no government funding or corporate sponsorships of any kind. However, we are grateful for all assistance and continuous generosity, which will enable our NON-PROFIT project to flourish.
PuRR Project is a US corporation in the final process of establishing non-profit status. Once the US non-profit status is completed, tax exempt receipts for US Dollar donations deposited in the US will be available. Thank you for your patience as we continue to expand and grow!
Idea! Food for Felines!
Join our Food for Felines program! With our current numbers, it costs about 32 US dollars per day to feed our entire population of adult cats as well as our kittens. For only 32 dollar per month, you would be feeding about 260 cats/kittens for one day! Our goal is to bring in donations to cover our entire food cost monthly! And when we reach our goal we will ask your permission to publish your name as a FOOD FOR FELINES donor. Your donation will help PuRR Project to not only provide food for our felines, but to continue providing the good, nourishing Diamond brand food that has given our cats a great boost in their health and well-being.
32 US dollars covers our food cost for 1 day (approx. 260 felines)
64 US dollars covers 2 days
96 US dollars covers 3 days
128 US dollars covers 4 days
160 US dollars covers 5 days
192 US dollars covers 6 days
224 US dollars covers 1 week
YOU DECIDE - and we will sign you up!
Another Idea! "Virtually" Adopt a Cat!
If you are not able to physically adopt a cat and take it home with you, but would like to help, you can also 'virtually' adopt! You can either visit PuRR Project to select the cat you'd like to financially support, or we can select one for you. We will email you periodic updates with photos on "your" feline!
Cost: 120 USD / year (only 10 USD / month)
Your donations and help gives them a chance of a better future.
Get Involved - Volunteer! There are several ways you can do it:
• Go to PuRR Project once a week and "socialize" with the adult cats in our gardens. We are like a huge family with lots and lots of "children" (our cats!). Many of them crave attention. Just sit yourself down anywhere in the gardens and you'll have cats coming to you wanting to give you their unconditional love. It's so gratifying knowing that doing something so pleasant for you means so much to them.
• Assist the vets in the clinic. This is not for everyone... but for those who don't get squeamish, it's wonderful work to help those cats and kittens that are not feeling well. On the job training provided.
• Socialize with the kittens ready for adoption. The more accustomed they are to a "good" human touch, the better they'll do in their new forever homes.
• Help out at Adoption Days. Held on periodic Saturdays. Help set up / take down, transport the kittens, talk with prospective families, etc...
• Foster a kitten that needs a little extra TLC, or learn to bottle feed! It's a great experience to care for a little one!
• Help to organize fundraising events. We run solely on donations and need fun and successful events.
• Do written translations - English to Spanish / Spanish to English
• Construction work - PuRR Project always has construction and repair needs. If you are willing to donate your time to work, we'll find donations to purchase the materials!
• Virtual Adoption Coordinator: someone to find folks to virtually adopt - and then keep them posted on how their particular feline is doing... with periodic emails and photos.
Items Constantly Needed:
• Old sheets and pillow cases
• Old towels - large, small and face
• Empty boxes - for cats to sleep on or play with
• Old chair or sofa cushions
• Scratching posts
• Kitty litter - Costco Brand that "clumps tight"
• Diamond Brand dry cat food (only Diamond, pls) Adult Maintenance & Kitten (found at Veterinary Clinics)
• Cans of "a/d" wet cat food - "Hill's Prescription - Science Diet"
• "KMR" brand powdered milk for bottle feeding tiny kittens
• Nutrigel - oral vitamin supplement - brown gel, comes in a large tube (like toothpaste)
• Cat toys
• Pet carriers - especially the large hard plastic ones - we use them for 'bedrooms' during the rainy season or cool winter nights.
• Litter pans - very large and deep - made of hard plastic
• Aluminum pans - (for roasting turkey in oven)
• Clorox liquid bleach
• Pinesol - or other liquid multipurpose "green" cleaner
• Odoban - multipurpose liquid cleaner, or similar
No matter how you decide to get involved, your help is greatly appreciated and is of immense value to our cats.
Since opening, Deja New Consignment has come a long way, now putting on several charity fashion shows a year and accepting donations on behalf of numerous charities.
|Shelter Updates and Upcoming Events at the PuRR Project|
It will be another couple of weeks to get the supplies to repair the damage and haul away the debris from Hurricane Lidia. In the meantime, the remaining casitas are FULL of kittens and older or special needs cats. Read more >>>
We invite you to add your charity or supporting organizations' news stories and coming events to PVAngels so we can share them with the world. Do it now!
From activities like hiking, swimming, bike riding and yoga, to restaurants offering healthy menus, Vallarta-Nayarit is the ideal place to continue - or start - your healthy lifestyle routine.